TMC says it respects EC, wants to follow its guidelines
Kolkata: After breathing fire against the Election Commission, Trinamool Congress on Thursday said that it respects the poll authority and wants to follow its rules and guidelines.
"We respect EC, want to play by its rules and follow its guidelines," TMC spokesperson Derek O`Brien said commenting on the incident involving motorcycles in Malda.
He, however, said that in North Bengal, motorbike was often only means of transport for that terrain.
"Journalists and public, who join party workers, are unaware of the EC`s 10-motorbike limit. EC needs to spread awareness not to breach 10-motorbike limit even by inadvertent accident. We will too. This is our duty," O`Brien said.
Two EC personnel were assaulted today when they were videographing a motorbike rally allegedly by Trinamool Congress workers in Malda district, inviting the wrath of the EC which directed the authorities to take stern action.
Malda Superintendent of Police Rupesh Kumar said two persons, Sheikh Kalu and Bipin Bihari Mondal, were arrested in connection with the incident.
On April 7, after the EC ordered the removal of five Superintendent of Police and a District Magistrate, West Bengal Chief Minister and TMC chief Mamata Banerjee accused the EC of playing into the hands of Congress and BJP and said transfers had been ordered without consulting the state government.
She had even threatened to not implement to EC order on transfer of the officials.
But on April 8 the TMC chief said, "I respect the Election Commission, but they are playing a political game. It is their political vendetta."
Banerjee alleged such action (transfer of officials) on the part of the EC was visible only in the states ruled by regional parties like West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!