TMC says it respects EC, wants to follow its guidelines
Kolkata: After breathing fire against the Election Commission, Trinamool Congress on Thursday said that it respects the poll authority and wants to follow its rules and guidelines.
"We respect EC, want to play by its rules and follow its guidelines," TMC spokesperson Derek O`Brien said commenting on the incident involving motorcycles in Malda.
He, however, said that in North Bengal, motorbike was often only means of transport for that terrain.
"Journalists and public, who join party workers, are unaware of the EC`s 10-motorbike limit. EC needs to spread awareness not to breach 10-motorbike limit even by inadvertent accident. We will too. This is our duty," O`Brien said.
Two EC personnel were assaulted today when they were videographing a motorbike rally allegedly by Trinamool Congress workers in Malda district, inviting the wrath of the EC which directed the authorities to take stern action.
Malda Superintendent of Police Rupesh Kumar said two persons, Sheikh Kalu and Bipin Bihari Mondal, were arrested in connection with the incident.
On April 7, after the EC ordered the removal of five Superintendent of Police and a District Magistrate, West Bengal Chief Minister and TMC chief Mamata Banerjee accused the EC of playing into the hands of Congress and BJP and said transfers had been ordered without consulting the state government.
She had even threatened to not implement to EC order on transfer of the officials.
But on April 8 the TMC chief said, "I respect the Election Commission, but they are playing a political game. It is their political vendetta."
Banerjee alleged such action (transfer of officials) on the part of the EC was visible only in the states ruled by regional parties like West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video