Transgenders feel rejected as voters list reduces them to 513
Kolkata: Transgender voters, estimated to be around 5 lakh in West Bengal, feel left out of the electoral process with only 513 of them registered in the voters list as the third sex.
It is for the first time in India that transgenders and eunuchs are voting as the third gender after Election Commission recognised them as "others" besides male and female voters.
"I am lucky that I could get myself enlisted in the third sex category but all of us could not do so because even the officers engaged in preparing the electoral list don`t know that there is a third gender," Ranjita Sinha who leads Association of Transgender/Hijra in Bengal (ATHB) told.
Transgenders say the key to progress of their community is getting recognition as an alternative gender based on which they can fight for other rights in spheres like health, education and employment.
Most members of the transgender and hijra community were forced to register themselves as male or female voters when faced with problems in getting recognition as the third sex.
Although no records are available, it is roughly estimated that the transgender population in West Bengal is around 5-6 lakh.
There are 6.2 crore voters in the state but the voters list shows only 513 people registered in the "Others" category.
In Murshidabad constituency, for example, there are only 3 voters in the "Others" category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia