Transgenders feel rejected as voters list reduces them to 513
Kolkata: Transgender voters, estimated to be around 5 lakh in West Bengal, feel left out of the electoral process with only 513 of them registered in the voters list as the third sex.
It is for the first time in India that transgenders and eunuchs are voting as the third gender after Election Commission recognised them as "others" besides male and female voters.
"I am lucky that I could get myself enlisted in the third sex category but all of us could not do so because even the officers engaged in preparing the electoral list don`t know that there is a third gender," Ranjita Sinha who leads Association of Transgender/Hijra in Bengal (ATHB) told.
Transgenders say the key to progress of their community is getting recognition as an alternative gender based on which they can fight for other rights in spheres like health, education and employment.
Most members of the transgender and hijra community were forced to register themselves as male or female voters when faced with problems in getting recognition as the third sex.
Although no records are available, it is roughly estimated that the transgender population in West Bengal is around 5-6 lakh.
There are 6.2 crore voters in the state but the voters list shows only 513 people registered in the "Others" category.
In Murshidabad constituency, for example, there are only 3 voters in the "Others" category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands