Tripura remains Communist bastion, Left Front increases winning margin
Agartala: The `NaMo wave` failed to influence voters in Tripura, which remained a Communist bastion with the Left Front retaining both the Lok Sabha seats with record margins and a vote share of 64.0 per cent.
The results could not be declared yesterday because of EVM malfunctions.
Jitendra Chowdhury, a former industries and commerce minister, who won the state assembly elections seven times, won the East Tripura (ST) seat defeating his nearest Congress candidate and an educationist, Sachitra Debbarma by a margin of 4,84,358 votes.
Likewise, Sankarprasad Dutta, a trade unionist contested the West Tripura Parliamentary constituency for the first time and defeated his rival Congress candidate, Arunoday Saha, a former vice-chancellor of Tripura University by a margin of 50348 votes.
In 2009, CPI-M candidate, Baju Ban Riyan had trounced Dibachandra Hrankhawl of Congress by 2,95,581 votes in the East Tripura (ST) constituency in 2009.
CPI-M candidate Khagen Das had defeated Sudip Roy Burman of Congress by 2,48,549 votes in the West Tripura constituency.
The division of votes between the opposition Congress and Trinamool Congress helped the Left Front sail through with a greater margin.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, a CPI(M) politburo member said, "Even we could not imagine that people would lend such huge support. This is encouraging for us."
Secretary of the state CPI(M) Bijan Dhar said the victory was the result of the good governance of the Left Front government, which ruled the state continuously since 1978 except for a stint of five years from 1988 to 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset