Two AAP workers allegedly attacked by BJP supporters in Varanasi
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Varanasi: Two Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) workers were seriously injured in an alleged attack by BJP supporters late on Monday in Varanasi, where Arvind Kejriwal is locked in an intense electoral battle with Narendra Modi.
According to reporters, Ankit Lal, AAP national IT cell coordinator, and Nandan Mishra, an IITian who left his job to work for the party, were attacked when the two were canvassing in favour of their party chief Arvind Kejriwal.
The two were attacked with sticks and rods after which the attackers fled from the scene. A formal complaint in this regard was later filed at Bhelupura police station.
The AAP volunteers also took to Twitter to express their anger over the incident. They also posted the pictures of the two injured AAP workers.
AAP`s UP spokesman Vaibhav Maheshwari was quoted as telling media that "Nandan`s nose bone has broken, the assault has damaged left ear drum of Ankit."
AAP`s national spokesman Sanjay Singh has blamed the BJP workers of attacking his party volunteers and leaders.
Singh further said that the BJP is worried and frustrated by AAP`s growing popularity in Varanasi.
Just a few days back, AAP leader and former Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti was also attacked allegedly by BJP workers during a TV shown in Varanasi.
AAP has also blamed the Election Commission for not taking cognizance of attacks on its volunteers and leaders in Varanasi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof