Two CRPF jawans killed in blasts in Bihar`s Jamui Lok Sabha constituency
Zee Media Bureau
Munger: Election day began on a disastrous note in LJP leader Chirag Paswan`s constituency when two CRPF jawans were killed and three others injured in an explosive blast triggered by Maoists in Jamui parliamentary seat of Bihar on Thursday morning, police said.
CRPF and Bihar Police team were travelling in two jeeps when the Maoists triggered an IED planted under the bridge they were crossing, near Sawa Lakh Baba Mandir at the entrance of Bhimbandh jungle, DSP Khargpur Ranjan Kumar told.
The two CRPF jawans succumbed to their injuries on way to a hospital while the three other injured were taken to the Sadar Hospital in Munger district, about 170 km from state capital Patna.
The incident took place at around 5:30 am, one and a half hour before the start of polling in Jamui (SC, reserved) constituency.
LJP president Ram Vilas Paswan`s son Chirag Paswan is in the fray from the Jamui parliamentary constituency against Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narayan Choudhary of JD (U) and Sudhanshu Shekhar Bhaskar of RJD.
Six parliamentary constituencies of Bihar, including Jamui, went to polls in the first phase of the elections in the state today.
All six -- Jamui, Aurangabad, Sasaram, Gaya, Nawada and Karakat - are located in the Naxal-affected areas in the state.
Voting ended at 4 pm in many Assembly segments of the six Lok Sabha seats in Maoist-hit areas. In other areas, electors exercised franchise till the scheduled 6 pm.
Maoists had earlier given a call for a poll boycott.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway