Two villages in UP`s Maharajganj boycott polling
Lucknow: Phooralpur village of Maharajganj constituency, where 13 people were killed at an unmanned crossing two days ago, was among the two villages which did not take part in the ongoing polling.
The villagers were demanding a railway crossing.
On May 9, 13 people were killed while crossing the railway track near here when a jeep carrying marriage party was smashed by a train at an unmanned railway crossing.
Three persons were also injured in the mishap.
Demanding roads, Baghapar village of the constituency stayed away from polling booth, sources said, adding that there are 974 voters in the area.
The administration had to deploy PAC to ensure polling as villagers surrounded the polling station and prevented anyone from casting ballot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi