Uma Bharti attacks Harish Rawat over his marital status, demands resignation
Dehradun: Launching a personal attack against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat, BJP leader Uma Bharti on Monday accused him of "marrying a second time without divorcing his first wife" and demanded his resignation on moral grounds.
"I have information that the chief minister`s first wife Basanti Devi has gone missing," Bharti said at a press conference here.
She alleged that "an unidentified man called Sanjay Rawat had applied for removal of Harish Rawat`s first wife Basanti Devi`s name from the voters list of Almora by filling out form 7."
Clarifying that form 7 is meant to be used for removal of a voter`s name from the list who has gone missing, gone abroad or is dead, she said, "a delegation of BJP`s women`s wing will soon meet Uttarakhand DGP BS Siddhu and urge him to locate the CM`s missing first wife within 48 hours."
"Since he married second time without divorcing his first wife, he should resign from the post of CM on moral grounds," she said.
She also said, "the CM and his second wife Renuka violated EC rules by applying for registration as voters from Dehradun at a time when they were already registered as voters from Ranikhet in Almora."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership