Union Minister Mullappally Ramachandran retains Vadakara seat
Kozhikode: Veteran Congress leader and Union Minister, Mullappally Ramachandran retained the Vadakara constituency, by edging out CPI(M)`s A N Shamseer of LDF by a slender margin of 3306 votes in a fluctuating battle.
Ramachandran, who represented Kannur seat in Lok Sabha for five terms, contested the 2009 election from Vadakara and had defeated CPI(M)`s P Satheedevi by a margin of 56,186 votes, but faced stiff fight from the young CPI(M) candidate before emerging winner in the final rounds of counting.
This was the first major election to be held after Revolutionary Marxist Leader T P Chandrasekharan`s brutal murder on May 4, 2012 at nearby Onchiyam in Kozhikode district, in which three CPI-M functionaries were also found guilty by a court.
With Ramachandran in the fray from Vadakara for the second time and Chandrasekharan murder being the most debated issue, the contest in the constituency had hogged limelight. Ramachandran also tactfully kept the murder issue live to put the main opponent on the defensive.
At one stage of counting, Shamseer had even forged to a sizeable lead of over 7500 votes, but Ramachandran came back to snatch the lead after 30 to 35 per cent votes were counted. However, thereafter, the lead changed hands before Ramachandran emerged the winner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands