UP govt seeks cancellation of bails to Muzaffarnagar riots accused
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government led by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has appealed to courts to cancel bail of at least 50 persons accused of playing a role in the last year`s Muzaffarnagar riots, claiming that they could try to disturb peace during elections.
Reports on Tuesday said that the Samajwadi Party government is seeking cancellation of bails given to BJP MLAs Sangeet Som, Suresh Rana and BSP MLA Kadir Rana among others.
For Sangeet Som, the state government has appealed in Allahabad High Court while for others, it has sent an appeal in district court.
In its appeal, the state government has claimed that the accused could try to disturb peace during elections and are attempting to divide voters on communal lines.
Supreme Court had recently held the Uttar Pradesh government prima facie responsible for negligence in preventing communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam passed a slew of directions for proper investigation in the cases and for rehabilitation of victims of the communal clashes.
"We prima facie hold the state government responsible for negligence in preventing such incidents," it said.
The court, however, added that the state government was taking proper action and had constituted a special investigation cell for conducting a probe into various cases, so there was no need for a direction for a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Special Investigation Team at this juncture.
It directed the state authorities to bring to book all accused persons irrespective of their political affiliations.
It also directed that the victims and their family members be given protection by the state government till the completion of trial.
The bench passed the order on a batch of petitions filed by various people, including riot victims, seeking its direction to the state government for proper probe into the cases and for a CBI investigation.
The petitions had sought the court`s direction to the Centre and Uttar Pradesh government to find out the reason behind the communal clashes in the state.
The PILs had also sought that the affected persons should be properly rehabilitated and the culprits behind the violence must be brought to book.
The communal violence, which had broken out on September 7 last year in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining towns, had claimed over 40 lives. It left 85 others injured and rendered 51,000 people, mostly Muslims, homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence