UPA govt insulted Telugu people: Narendra Modi
Madanapalle: Invoking Telugu pride, BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Thursday alleged that the UPA government has insulted Telugu people often and divided Andhra Pradesh without taking people into confidence.
"The government of the mother and son and the Congress party in Delhi insulted Telugu people whenever an opportunity came. They made Seemandhra and Telangana but they did not take people here into confidence," Modi said kicking off a whirlwind campaign tour of Seemandhra at Madaneapalle in Chitoor district.
"The mother and son government fixed June 2 as the appointed date (when the two states come into existence) as it is also the date of Italy`s formation day," he claimed.
Alleging that the country has become `Scam India` under the `mother and son government`, the 63-year-old BJP leader said, the nation should now become a "Scheme India" with welfare and development schemes being implemented for the people.
TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, actor-turned politician Pawan Kalyan are part of Modi`s campaigning tour.
Modi launched TDP-BJP combine`s poll campaign in the temple town of Tirupati, near here, by addressing a rally last night.
Reaching out to the Seemandhra voters, the Gujarat chief minister said the choice for them is between a `Scam Andhra` and `Swarna Andhra (Golden Andhra)`.
Highlighting that he and Naidu stood for development, Modi said the TDP-BJP combine would usher in a new wave of development for residuary Andhra Pradesh.
Noting that the BJP has promised to set up 100 smart cities across the country, he said Seemandhra would get a due share in the plan.
The NDA government, if voted to power, would implement interlinking of rivers which would benefit the fractured lands Rayalaseema, Modi said.
Tomato is grown in Rayalaseema widely, and cultivation can be expanded by increasing value addition as vegetables are grown in Kutch region of Gujarat, he said.
Modi is scheduled to address campaign meetings at Nellore, Guntur, Bhimavaram and Visakhapatnam in Coastal Andhra.
Madanapalle is part of Rajampet Lok Sabha constituency from where former union minister D Purandeswari is the BJP candidate.
Recalling the services of NT Rama Rao, father of Purandeswari, to Rayalaseema, Modi appealed to vote for her.
Addressing the gathering, Naidu alleged that the bifurcation of the state was a conspiracy hatched by Congress party in which TRS and YSR Congress are partners.
Modi has promised to support the development efforts in Seemandhra, Naidu said adding that a TDP-BJP government would alone ensure progress of the region in spheres.
Pawan Kalyan, who drew loud cheers from the audience, asked why YSRCP leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy kept quite when TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao abused Seemandhra.
Stating that Congress is already dead in the region, he asked the people throw out YSRCP as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read