Voters turn out in large numbers in Noorabad segment
Noorabad: Ignoring militant threat and boycott call of separatists, people turned out to vote in large numbers in Noorbad assembly segment of Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency which went to polls on Thursday.
Polling was sluggish in most areas of the constituency where the main contest is between ruling National Conference candidate and sitting MP Mehboob Beg and opposition PDP president Mehbooba Mufti.
But the long queues outside polling stations in Noorabad in Anantnag district and neighbouring Kulgam presented a different picture.
"Today we are not bothered about the threat of gun or any boycott call. We have decided that our village will registered cent per cent voting," Bashir Ahmad, a voter from Malik Mohalla, said.
For the people, development is a key issue and they speak of lack of progress in the construction of a power project at Aharbal waterfall.
"Without exaggeration, I am saying that if this power project is commissioned it will provide employment and livelihood opportunities to at least 1000 persons," Ghulam Mohammad, who claimed expertise in mechanical engineering, said.
Soon after casting his vote in Laroo village, Ali Mohammad (56) said, "Nothing has improved in our area since the last election". He said that he was hopeful that things will change after this election.
The Lok Sabha seat is spread over 16 Assembly segments in four districts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian.
The average voter turnout for the four assembly segments in Kulgam district was a healthy 22 per cent at 1.00 PM but in Noorabad it was 46 per cent.
The number of women voters to male voters was comparable in most parts of Noorabad. At a polling booth at Laroo, the women outnumbered men in the early voting in the day.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers and policemen were deployed for the protection of the voters and the poll staff at each of the 1,615 polling stations in this Lok Sabha seat. Over 1.2 million people were eligible to exercise their franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state