Voters turn out in large numbers in Noorabad segment
Noorabad: Ignoring militant threat and boycott call of separatists, people turned out to vote in large numbers in Noorbad assembly segment of Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency which went to polls on Thursday.
Polling was sluggish in most areas of the constituency where the main contest is between ruling National Conference candidate and sitting MP Mehboob Beg and opposition PDP president Mehbooba Mufti.
But the long queues outside polling stations in Noorabad in Anantnag district and neighbouring Kulgam presented a different picture.
"Today we are not bothered about the threat of gun or any boycott call. We have decided that our village will registered cent per cent voting," Bashir Ahmad, a voter from Malik Mohalla, said.
For the people, development is a key issue and they speak of lack of progress in the construction of a power project at Aharbal waterfall.
"Without exaggeration, I am saying that if this power project is commissioned it will provide employment and livelihood opportunities to at least 1000 persons," Ghulam Mohammad, who claimed expertise in mechanical engineering, said.
Soon after casting his vote in Laroo village, Ali Mohammad (56) said, "Nothing has improved in our area since the last election". He said that he was hopeful that things will change after this election.
The Lok Sabha seat is spread over 16 Assembly segments in four districts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian.
The average voter turnout for the four assembly segments in Kulgam district was a healthy 22 per cent at 1.00 PM but in Noorabad it was 46 per cent.
The number of women voters to male voters was comparable in most parts of Noorabad. At a polling booth at Laroo, the women outnumbered men in the early voting in the day.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers and policemen were deployed for the protection of the voters and the poll staff at each of the 1,615 polling stations in this Lok Sabha seat. Over 1.2 million people were eligible to exercise their franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam