Voters turn out in large numbers in Noorabad segment
Noorabad: Ignoring militant threat and boycott call of separatists, people turned out to vote in large numbers in Noorbad assembly segment of Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency which went to polls on Thursday.
Polling was sluggish in most areas of the constituency where the main contest is between ruling National Conference candidate and sitting MP Mehboob Beg and opposition PDP president Mehbooba Mufti.
But the long queues outside polling stations in Noorabad in Anantnag district and neighbouring Kulgam presented a different picture.
"Today we are not bothered about the threat of gun or any boycott call. We have decided that our village will registered cent per cent voting," Bashir Ahmad, a voter from Malik Mohalla, said.
For the people, development is a key issue and they speak of lack of progress in the construction of a power project at Aharbal waterfall.
"Without exaggeration, I am saying that if this power project is commissioned it will provide employment and livelihood opportunities to at least 1000 persons," Ghulam Mohammad, who claimed expertise in mechanical engineering, said.
Soon after casting his vote in Laroo village, Ali Mohammad (56) said, "Nothing has improved in our area since the last election". He said that he was hopeful that things will change after this election.
The Lok Sabha seat is spread over 16 Assembly segments in four districts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian.
The average voter turnout for the four assembly segments in Kulgam district was a healthy 22 per cent at 1.00 PM but in Noorabad it was 46 per cent.
The number of women voters to male voters was comparable in most parts of Noorabad. At a polling booth at Laroo, the women outnumbered men in the early voting in the day.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers and policemen were deployed for the protection of the voters and the poll staff at each of the 1,615 polling stations in this Lok Sabha seat. Over 1.2 million people were eligible to exercise their franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say