`Voters` turnout in Haryana may be 75-80 per cent`
Chandigarh: Voters` percentage in Haryana during Lok Sabha elections is expected to be between 75 to 80 per cent with polling in the state to be held on April 10, state chief electoral officer Shrikant Walgad said on Friday.
"This time, we hope that it (voters` percentage in Haryana) will be between 75 and 80 per cent," Walgad said while addressing media here today adding that the increase is expected due to mass campaigns launched.
He said that in Haryana, voters` turnout in 2009 was 68 per cent while it was 65.72 per cent in 2004.
There are 1.59 crore voters including 74 lakh females who will seal the fate of 230 candidates in fray for general elections to be held for 10 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
Asked about sensitive areas in Haryana, Walgad said 3,000 polling booths across the state have been identified as sensitive and hyper sensitive ones.
To ensure free and fair conduct of polls and prevent any untoward incident, 60 companies of Central Security Forces along with 49,000 police personnel would be deployed, he said.
The CEO said as many as 82,000 polling staff would be deputed at 16,244 polling stations located at 9,684 locations for free and fair conduct of the elections.
Walgad said 18,193 EVM control units and 32,567 ballot units would be used for voting in the state.
Asked about seizure in the state, Walgad said unaccounted cash amounting to Rs 1.77 crore had been recovered.
He further said 79,000 bottles of illegal liquor, 760 grams of opium, 693 kg of poppy husk, 540 grams of Charas, 141 grams of smack and 798 grams of gold have been seized by static surveillance teams and police officials on the directions of Election Commission.
Over 91,000 arms have been deposited while 226 illegal arms were seized in the state.
He further said that a total of 497 FIRs have been registered and 6,394 non-bailable warrants had been issued.
97 complaints so far have been received regarding the violation of model code of conduct and paid news, out of which 36 have been disposed of, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing