Voting in Pune marred by faulty EVMs, 1 lakh missing names; BJP demands re-poll
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Pune: The Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) has demanded a re-polling in Pune after as many as one lakh names of electors with ID cards were missing from the voters list. There were also cases where voters in Pune were told by the poll officials that their vote has already been registered despite them not voting for the desired candidate at all.
Voters complained to the Election Commission as their names including of actor Amol Palekar and his wife`s were missing from the voters list on Thursday. Some electorates even alleged that they were deliberately kept away from the polling process.
Also, several protesting voters pointed that there were faulty Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) at a booth. The voters said that the malfunctioning voting machine registered their votes to Congress despite having voted for other parties.
After the incident came to light yesterday, the Election Commission allowed 28 voters who had already cast their votes in the malfunctioning EVM to vote afresh.
With many people now demanding a re-poll after not finding their names in the voters list, the District Collector has assured the voters that the matter will be resolved in two days time.
Angry voters boycotted the elections for nearly three hours before frantic election officials ordered a replacement EVM and resumed voting around 1 pm.
An average 61.7 percent voting in 19 Lok Sabha constituencies was registered on Thursday in the second phase of polling in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO