We accept people`s mandate with humility: Delhi Congress
New Delhi: Suffering a severe drubbing in the Lok Sabha polls today, Delhi Congress today said it accepted the verdict with humility and asked BJP to fulfil the promises it made to the people during the campaign.
"We respectfully accepted the people`s mandate and promise to play a positive role in days to come. We also thank lakhs of party workers who put lot of hard work in the run up to the election," Delhi Congress` Chief Spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said.
"We are not frustrated. However, we resolve to work hard to regain people`s love and affection," he said.
Sharma also asked BJP to fulfil the promises it made to the people of the city in the run up to the election.
Congress was handed a crushing defeat in the Lok Sabha polls here as all its seven MPs, including two Union Ministers, were relegated to third position in their constituencies.
The party had suffered a severe drubbing in the assembly polls in December last year, winning a paltry eight seats in the 70-member Assembly after ruling the city for 15 consecutive years.
Like in assembly polls, the fledging Aam Aadmi Party emerged as the second largest party in the Lok Sabha polls though it could not win a single seat.
"The secular votes got divided because of AAP," Sharma said.
Following the shocking defeat in the assembly elections, the Congress leadership had appointed young leader Arvind Singh Lovely as DPCC chief after J P Agarwal resigned from the post taking moral responsibility for the defeat.
After assuming office, Lovely tried to rejuvenate the party and had launched an aggressive campaign to regain the lost ground. However, the effort did not show tangible result as all the seven party candidates were defeated by huge margins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand