Why EC, UP govt shying away from action against Amit Shah? asks Congress
New Delhi: Stepping up pressure against BJP over alleged hate remarks of Amit Shah and Vasundhara Raje, Congress on Tuesday demanded immediate action against them wondering why the Uttar Pradesh government and the Election Commission were "shying away" in the matter.
"Why the Samajwadi Party government and the Election Commission are shying away from taking action and why the SP government was not fulfilling its law and order duty by arresting Shah?", party spokesman Randeep Surjewala told reporters.
Noting that Congress has filed a similar complaint against Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje to the EC for her remarks against a Congress candidate, he said while the EC has issued a notice today to Shah, no notice has been issued to Raje.
"We sincerely hope and request the EC to be bound by their consitutional obligations and duties and initiate action against Raje, Shah and all elements belonging to any political party who break the law," he said.
Replying to a question, he said he was not questioning the impartiality of EC but the "delay" in taking action. "When expeditious action was taken against the Congress candidate, I welcomed it on behalf of the party".
He charged Shah, who is out on bail from the Supreme Court and is in charge of BJP affairs in Uttar Pradesh, with unleashing "real hate propaganda which is truly reflective of Narendra Modi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room