Will `Modi wave` swing Kanyakumari in Saffron`s favour?
Kanyakumari: Among constituencies the BJP and its allies hope to win on the April 24 Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu, Kanyakumari tops the list.
S Abdul Azeem, a social activist of Thuckalay and member of "Thiruvarut Peravai," a forum for religious harmony headed by the District Collector says: "It is sad but true that in the past 25 years people have been polarised on religious lines and minorities have voted en bloc to scuttle BJP`s victory."
Kanyakumari based noted Hindutva writer Aravindan Neelakandan, however, disagrees. "BJP has always had an undercurrent of support cutting across party and religious lines."
"Whenever there is no dividing communal forces, BJP has won. However, if communal passions are aroused the party may find the going tough," he says.
The argument, however, does not cut ice with Suresh Swamiyar Kaani of `Koovai Kadu Malai`, a well-known tribal leader and representative of Kanyakumari District Minorities Federation.
"The BJP is not at all a choice for the minorities. A candidate who would ensure the welfare and rights of Christians and Muslims should win," says Kaani who was the first person in his community to earn a doctorate degree.
This time around, the contest could be more tough as S P Udayakumar, who spearheaded the anti-nuclear movement against Kudankulam project and enjoys "considerable influence" in coastline villages among fishermen, is in the fray as an Aam Aadmi party candidate, Azeem says.
Interestingly, the candidates of AIADMK, DMK, CPI(M) and AAP are all Catholic Christians.
Muslims (4.20 per cent, 2011 census) in the constituency appear to be weighing their options carefully.
Janab A Tamilmahan Hussain, Chairman, Tamil Nadu Wakf Board, (AIADMK) is a respected Islamic elder here and enjoys good rapport with Jamats, Azeem says. Also, the Tamil Nadu Thowheed Jamath (TNTJ) supports AIADMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17