Will not apologise, move Supreme Court against EC ban: Azam Khan
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Undeterred by the ban imposed on him by the Election Commission in connection with his alleged hate speeches, Samajwadi Party leader Mohd Azam Khan on Friday refused to apologise to the election watchdog.
Azam Khan, a dominant Muslim leader in Uttar Pradesh, was banned from holding public meetings, processions or roadshows in Uttar Pradesh after his remarks that the Kargil conflict was won by Muslim soldiers and not Hindus.
Speaking to the media, the SP leader said that he won`t apologise to the EC as he had done nothing wrong.
A news agency, ANI, has quoted Khan as saying that the EC thinks it is above the Supreme Court.
When asked whether he would approach the SC to challenge EC`s decision, the SP leader said there is a possibility of him approaching the apex court.
The EC on Thursday allowed Narendra Modi`s close confidante Amit Shah to resume campaigning in Uttar Pradesh, the Samajwadi Party has appealed to the watchdog to reconsider its decision.
The EC yesterday night allowed Shah to resume campaigning in Uttar Pradesh, after earlier banning him from doing so. The watchdog had banned Shah from campaigning in UP after he made controversial statements amounting to violation of model code of conduct.
Reacting to the development, SP leader Naresh Agarwal said that if the ban on Amit Shah has been lifted by the election watchdog then his party colleague Azam Khan should also get the same relief. He accused the EC of acting under the pressure of BJP and its prime ministerial candidate Modi.
The EC lifted the ban after Shah gave undertaking that he wouldn`t disturb public order and tranquillity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read