Will not quit BJP: Satpal Maharaj
Dehradun: Former Congress heavyweight Satpal Maharaj, who recently defected to BJP, Wednesday said his decision to join the saffron party was "well considered" and would never change.
The remarks came following speculation in the media that he might return to Congress after the Lok Sabha polls.
"I have joined BJP after a lot of thinking. It is a well considered decision which cannot change. I am here to stay," Satpal told reporters here.
Asked about reports that he would try to stoke a rebellion against Congress` Harish Rawat government in Uttarakhand after the polls through MLAs loyal to him, the Pauri MP said he did not have any such intention.
Nearly half a dozen MLAs in the state assembly, including Satpal`s wife Amrita Rawat who is a minister in the state Cabinet, are said to bear allegiance to the leader.
When asked about a disgruntled BJP leader`s statement that his joining will not help the party, Satpal said, "My presence in the ranks of BJP will not only benefit the party in Uttarakhand but also in other states.
Satpal won the Pauri Lok Sabha seat in the last general elections on a Congress ticket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice