Will revive `Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan` spirit, says Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
Buxar: Lamenting the condition of farmers and soldiers in the country, BJP`s PM candidate for upcoming Lok Sabha polls Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that if voted to power he would revive the spirit of `Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan` slogan given by former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
Addressing a rally here Modi posed the question to the crowd - "What is the condition of kisans (farmers) and jawans (soldiers) today?"
"The number of farmers committing suicide because of the faulty agriculture policy of the UPA is far more than soldiers killed in war and likewise number of jawans killed by terrorists are more than those dying in the battle ground," Modi claimed, PTI reported.
"While the widow of a beheaded soldier is sitting on dharna, the powers that be in Delhi are busy feeding biryani to the Pakistan President," he alleged.
Stating that farmers were suffering both during good as well as bad harvests, Modi slammed the Centre for allegedly selling surplus foodgrains to liquor manufacturers instead of giving it to the poor as advised by the Supreme Court.
Modi also took on Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for not allowing progressive farmers from the state to participate in an international farm convention in Gujarat.
"Rivalry is common in politics, but it should not take the shape of enemity," he said in an apparent dig at Kumar.
Seeking to establish connect with locals, he said in days to come his relations with them would deepen as he was contesting from the neighbouring Varanasi seat.
Disgruntled veteran BJP leader Lal Muni Choubey, who withdrew his candidature as Independent from Buxar seat on a request from Modi shared the dais with him along with candidate Ashwani Kumar Choubey and leader of Opposition in state Assembly Nand Kishore Yadav.
Lok Sabha polls are scheduled to be held in April and May and the counting of votes will be done on May 16.
Modi is on a whirlwind tour of the country addressing four to five rallies in a day.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family