Women Congress workers hold protest against Ramdev`s remarks
New Delhi: Women Congress workers today held a demonstration outside BJP headquarters here, condemning Yoga Guru Ramdev`s "derogatory" remarks against Rahul Gandhi and Dalits.
The members of Delhi Congress Women Cell also raised slogans against BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi for "backing" Ramdev and demanded action against both.
"We are protesting against Ramdev for his derogatory remarks against Rahul Gandhi and Dalits. We also condemn Meenakshi Lekhi for backing Ramdev, who has now become the man of BJP," Delhi Pradesh Mahila Congress` president Onika Mehrotra told reporters here.
"Ramdev is not a Yoga Guru. He has become the man of BJP, which does politics over Dalits issue," the Congress leader said.
"BJP leaders are making such comments as they do not respect Dalits and women. If the party is voted to power, they will divide the country, which will not be good for the welfare of this country," Mehrotra also said.
Police had erected barricades near the BJP headquarters on 11 Ashoka Road to prevent protestors from entering inside. The women Congress workers tried to break the barricades, but police did not allow them.
During the protest, the women activists also burnt effigies of Ramdev and Lekhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says