14 workers killed, many trapped in Goa building collapse
Canacona: At least 14 workers died, many were injured while more than a dozen are feared trapped under the debris of an under-construction building in Canacona town, 60 km from the state capital Panaji Saturday.
Police said a portion of a three-storey building, Ruby Residency, located in the Chawdi ward of Canacona, collapsed burying over 50 persons working at the site.
The army has been called in for relief and rescue work, according to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
"Eleven bodies have been extracted. Thirteen injured workers have been shifted to various hospitals depending on the seriousness of their injuries. But there are at least a dozen or more trapped under the debris," an official said.
Officials from police, health and fire service departments are at the site using heavy equipment, gas cutters and crane to get to the trapped workers. Rescue work could continue through the night.
The construction was being carried out by a Navi Mumbai-based real estate development firm, Bharat Developers and Realtors Pvt Ltd.
Parrikar who was monitoring the rescue operation at the site, said even as rescue work was going on, police was asked to get cracking and nab those prima facie responsible for the accident.
"An FIR has been filed against the builder, contractor and the municipal engineer in-charge. We will not spare anyone," Parrikar said, adding a state government-organised cultural programme organised in the vicinity was cancelled following the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SpaceX Dragon cargo craft departs International Space Station
- Modi-inspired khadi outfits for Goa officials every Friday
- Uttar Pradesh Police personnel to get offs every 10 days
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi