14 workers killed, many trapped in Goa building collapse
Canacona: At least 14 workers died, many were injured while more than a dozen are feared trapped under the debris of an under-construction building in Canacona town, 60 km from the state capital Panaji Saturday.
Police said a portion of a three-storey building, Ruby Residency, located in the Chawdi ward of Canacona, collapsed burying over 50 persons working at the site.
The army has been called in for relief and rescue work, according to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
"Eleven bodies have been extracted. Thirteen injured workers have been shifted to various hospitals depending on the seriousness of their injuries. But there are at least a dozen or more trapped under the debris," an official said.
Officials from police, health and fire service departments are at the site using heavy equipment, gas cutters and crane to get to the trapped workers. Rescue work could continue through the night.
The construction was being carried out by a Navi Mumbai-based real estate development firm, Bharat Developers and Realtors Pvt Ltd.
Parrikar who was monitoring the rescue operation at the site, said even as rescue work was going on, police was asked to get cracking and nab those prima facie responsible for the accident.
"An FIR has been filed against the builder, contractor and the municipal engineer in-charge. We will not spare anyone," Parrikar said, adding a state government-organised cultural programme organised in the vicinity was cancelled following the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India