182 mining leases in Goa near water bodies: Minister
Panaji: In what could be a shot in the arm for anti-mining activists, government data tabled during the monsoon session of the Goa assembly reveals that over half of Goa`s 300-odd mining leases in the state are located in close proximity of water bodies.
In a written reply, state Water Resources Minister Filipe Neri Rodrigues has said that the water resources department has also assigned the task of studying the impact of mining on water bodies to an independent agency for assessment.
"The department has been monitoring some rivers and notices have been issued to mining agencies found polluting or damaging river or water bodies," Rodrigues said.
Anti-mining activists have over the years expressed fears of unchecked mining near numerous water bodies, which are linked to rivers that supply potable water.
According to data tabled in the assembly, Rodrigues said that several of the 182 mining leases exist within one kilometre of a major irrigation project, the Selaulim dam, which provides drinking water to a population of nearly six lakh in the south Goa district, virtually half of Goa.
The controversial mining leases dot the hinterland of the state, which is pockmarked by mining activity.
The opposition has also grilled the state government several times about mining reject being dumped in the Selaulim water reservoir, which in turn was affecting the dam`s catchment area.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat, also the state mines minister, had assured last year that all mining leases in proximity to the reservoir would be phased out in the next two or three years.
The majority of the 182 controversial mining leases are run by major mining firms namely VM Salgaoncar and Bros Pvt Ltd, Sesa Goa Ltd, Sociedade Timblo Irmaos Ltd, and Chowgule and Company Ltd, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA