5 injured in ordnance shell explosion in Goa
Panaji: Five persons were injured after an ordnance shell exploded at a defence shipyard in the port town of Vasco on Wednesday.
The shell had been recovered by a dredger vessel, used by Mormugao Port Trust at the Goa Shipyard Limited, along with silt and dirt which was then emptied in a container, SP Arvind Gawas said.
Workers at the shipyard tried to cut open the shell following which it exploded, he said.
Five workers were injured in the explosion and they have been admitted to a local hospital. The condition of two of them is said to be critical, Gawas said.
Indian Navy officials have visited the site and requested that the shell be sent to them for further examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed