5 injured in ordnance shell explosion in Goa
Panaji: Five persons were injured after an ordnance shell exploded at a defence shipyard in the port town of Vasco on Wednesday.
The shell had been recovered by a dredger vessel, used by Mormugao Port Trust at the Goa Shipyard Limited, along with silt and dirt which was then emptied in a container, SP Arvind Gawas said.
Workers at the shipyard tried to cut open the shell following which it exploded, he said.
Five workers were injured in the explosion and they have been admitted to a local hospital. The condition of two of them is said to be critical, Gawas said.
Indian Navy officials have visited the site and requested that the shell be sent to them for further examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon