57 cases of crime against foreigners in over 1 yr
Panaji: Over 50 cases of crimes perpetrated against visiting foreign nationals have been reported in Goa in the last one-and-half years, till June, 2012.
Government records have admitted that 57 such cases were reported.
The figures placed before the recently concluded monsoon session of Goa Assembly revealed that Russians topped the list of those who faced crime while holidaying in the state.
They also constitute the largest number of nationals visiting Goa, followed by the Britons, the report said.
From 2011 till June, 2012, 17 Russians encountered crime in Goa, followed by nine British nationals, six Germans and five each from Israel and Ukraine, it said.
Three Americans also faced crime during their vacation in Goa during the period, which saw around 6.6 lakh foreigners visiting the famed tourist state.
Citizens from Sweden, Romania, Kazaksthan, Nepal, Italy, Iran, Finland, Slovakia, Thailand, Malaysia, Switzerland, Belarus and Scotland also faced crime during their stay here, the report said.
Of the total cases reported during the time, 30 are still being investigated while in majority of the cases, the foreigners have left the country.
Among all the cases, there is only one case which has gone to the final stage and the accused has been convicted.
The case is related to 55-year-old Italian national, Claudio Gentili, who had met with an accident due to rash and negligent driving by a local, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla