ACB to probe IDC corruption cases in Goa: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa government on Wednesday said cases related to corruption in the state-run Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) will be handed over to anti-corruption bureau of the police department.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the state Assembly that all cases related to the allotment of plots in the industrial estates resulting in losses worth crores of rupees are being handed over to the ACB of Goa police.
"Let the police decide against whom to file FIR after studying the cases," Parrikar said, pointing out that the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its 2008 report had pointed out losses worth Rs 102 crore through the land deals.
The issue was raised on the floor of the House today by Nuvem MLA Fransisco Miccky Pacheco pointing to the news appearing in a weekly newspaper.
In an interview to the newspaper, former IDC chairman and current Congress legislator Chandrakant Kavalekar had claimed that he was being used as a "rubber stamp" by then Chief Minister Pratapsingh Rane and his son Vishwajit, who is also a Congress legislator, to get these lands allotted.
Rane, who was present on the floor, intervened in the matter and stated that the interview of Kavalekar was fabricated.
"Let there be an inquiry into the land allotments. I have spoken to Kavalekar. He has told me that he had not made any such statement and words were put in his mouth," the Leader of Opposition said.
The chief minister said the government is convinced that there has been a loss to the IDC.
"Since there is a loss, there has to be an inquiry whether it has been done intentionally or by mistake," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...