Activists slam Goa government over MOI issue
Panaji: Activists on Tuesday criticised Goa
government`s move to make English a medium of instruction in
state-aided primary schools, calling it a "blatant violation
of the Indian Constitution."
"The cabinet resolution on May 25, which gave MOI status
to English, was moved bypassing the Cabinet Secretary and
despite the objections raised by the Education Secretary,"
said Arvind Bhatikar, former IAS officer and leader of
Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch (BBSM).
"The proposal in the cabinet has to be moved by the
Cabinet Secretary. And if any officer points out technical
objections, then the cabinet should not pass it," Bhatikar
State Education Secretary V P Rao had warned that the MOI
amendment would have financial repercussions and would not
withstand legal scrutiny, but his warning was ignored, said
"This is a blatant violation of the Indian Constitution
by the state government," he added.
BBSM has been protesting against the government`s
decision which, according to the organisation, would prove
detrimental to the existence of Indian languages.
"Goa administration and government is not running as per
the Indian constitution," he alleged.
BBSM president Shashikala Kakodkar said that the
activists would gherao all the legislators and the Goa chief
of Congress, Subhash Shirodkar, for adopting "double standards
on the MOI issue."
She alleged that ministers like Ramakrishna Dhavlikar,
Manohar Asgoankar, Vishwajit Rane, Speaker of Legislative
Assembly Pratapsingh Rane, legislator Dipak Dhavalikar and
Congress chief Shirodkar were "adopting dual standards."
Kakodkar said that BBSM would ask all these politicians
to clarify their stand on the MOI issue in their respective
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant