After attack by party cadre, Goa BJP MLA to form social front
Panaji: Goa BJP MLA Vishnu Wagh, who was attacked by the party cadre last month over rumours of his quitting the party, said he would form a non-political front for backward sections of society.
Wagh, who represents St Andre constituency, was manhandled by a group of 70 people, whom he claimed were supporters of his own party but owing allegiance to another legislator, on December 19.
"In two to three months, I will set up Bahujan Mahamanch and bring together all the oppressed sections like labour, SC, ST and others to bring transformation in society...This is my answer to the attack (on me)," the legislator said yesterday.
Wagh was treated in Goa Medical College over a week after the incident.
The attack was said to be the fallout of rumours that Wagh is trying to quit BJP to join the NCP in near future and contest forthcoming Lok Sabha polls on the Sharad Pawar-led party ticket.
He is also the Vice Chairman of Entertainment Society of Goa, an agency that hosts International Film Festival of India (IFFI) annually in the state.
"I have resolved not to take vicious steps and instead channelise my efforts in right direction," said Wagh.
After the attack, Wagh`s wife alleged that Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and local BJP leader Satish Dhond gave "supari" (contract) to kill her husband.
Police have so far arrested only two out of around 70 persons who were allegedly part of the mob who damaged the MLA`s official car and manhandled him at Revora village near here.
Wagh said he would meet the party`s national leaders in Delhi and brief them about the "callous" attitude of police in connection with arresting the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi