After blaming ex-Goa CM, Kamat says media misquoted him
Panaji: Less than a week after dragging Goa`s erstwhile tallest leader Dayanand Bandodkar and first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru into a controversy, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat on Friday claimed that the media misquoted him.
In a clarification, Kamat said he had high respect for Bandodkar, who was Goa`s first chief minister after the Portguese colony was liberated in December 1961. In a speech last week, Kamat suggested that lack of foresight on part of Nehru and Bandodkar put the future of the state`s fishermen in potential peril.
"A government spokesman has denied that the Chief Minister made any such statement and clarified that he has not mentioned the name of any person," said a clarification issued by the state department for information and publicity.
"The spokesman further said the Chief Minister has high respect for late Bhausaheb Bandodkar and considered him as an architect of modern Goa state," it added without mentioning Kamat`s comments on Nehru.
At a function organised by the Centre for Science and Environment here on Saturday, Kamat said that had the Goan leadership asked Nehru for a special status for the state after its liberation in 1961, the state`s fishermen would not have to fear displacement due to the proposed Central Coastal Regulation Zone Act, 2010.
Kamat`s comments slighting Bandodker triggered a storm in Goa, with newspaper editorials, civil society members and the kin of Bandodkar roundly criticising him for blaming the late Goan leader.
Kamat has on numerous occasions accused the media of "misquoting" him, including when he called Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi his best friend and told women not to hanker for reservation of seats in politics -- an issue close to the heart of Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing