Alina will be inducted in Goa cabinet: CM
Panaji: Notwithstanding the petition filed before the Election Commission, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Friday said he will go ahead with the induction of former tourism minister Matanhy Saldanha`s wife Alina, in the state cabinet.
"Induction is on cards. She will be sworn-in on Tuesday. I have a right under Constitution of India to induct her," Parrikar told reporters on the sidelines of a function organised to swear in newly appointed Goa Governor B V Wanchoo in the afternoon.
An RTI activist, Aires Rodrigues, today filed a petition before Election Commission of India (ECI) against proposed induction of Alina, terming it as a violation of code of conduct. She will be contesting forthcoming Cortalim by-polls on June 2 on BJP ticket.
Parrikar said Constitution of India empowers him to induct anyone in his cabinet, provided she is elected to the House within six months.
"The question is whether Constitution is important or code of conduct, which is not even a legal document," the chief minister said.
On the claim that induction would amount to influencing the voters, Parrikar said, "You have to influence the voter when you are contesting an election."
"What is an election manifesto meant for? Only issue is that one should not take undue advantage," he added.
Cortalim by-poll was necessitated after the death of former tourism minister, who died due to heart attack within few days of he being sworn-in.
BJP had chosen Saldanha`s wife Alina, a newcomer into politics, to contest from South Goa`s Cortalim seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state