Anti-Modi post was reaction to Muthalik entry in BJP: Engineer
Panaji: The Goa-based marine engineer booked for anti-Narendra Modi remarks on Facebook on Saturday said his post was a reaction to BJP inducting controversial right wing leader Pramod Muthalik into the party, and maintained the issue had been blown out of proportion.
Devu Chodankar said he deleted the post soon after Muthalik, chief of Sri Ram Sene, was dropped from BJP following public outrage after his induction in March.
"It`s a petty issue which has been blown out of proportion. The post was a knee jerk reaction to Muthalik`s induction in BJP in Karnataka. As soon as he was removed from the party, I deleted the post," he told PTI in his first media interview after the controversy broke out.
The 33-year-old has been booked by Goa`s Cyber Crime cell for posting anti-Modi and anti-BJP remarks on the popular networking site in run up to the Lok Sabha elections.
"If Modi is elected as PM this election, Christians will lose their identity in South Goa. Mark these words. There is an imminent holocaust as it happened in Gujarat though under the garb of cunning Government policies of (Goa CM) Parrikar," one of his posts on Facebook read.
After he was booked, Chodankar filed an anticipatory bail application in the local court fearing arrest. His plea was rejected. Cyber Crime cell opposed the plea and claimed they require his custody for interrogation.
The engineer, who was out of station when activists protested against his possible arrest, said he had congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and newly-elected Goa MPs Shripad Naik and Narendra Sawaikar after the BJP`s victory in polls.
Chodankar said since May 16, when he was issued summons by police, he had stopped logging into his FB account.
"After posting the (anti-Modi) message, I have stopped logging in it. It all depends on inquiry and whether I would be allowed to log in again," Chodankar said.
Chodankar, called for questioning on June 2, said he will appear before the Investigating Officer and cooperate in probe. "Being a law-abiding citizen, I will extend all cooperation to the authorities regarding this matter."
"He has complete faith in the Constitution and in the democratic principles enshrined in it," his lawyer Jatin Naik said.
Chodankar has been booked under IPC and IT Act, among others, and charged with "promoting communal and social disharmony" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared