Apologise for criticising Lokayukta law: Parrikar to Hegde
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday asked for an apology from Justice Santosh Hegde for the former Karnataka lokayukta`s criticism of controversial amendments to Goa`s Lokayukta law.
Speaking to reporters at the secretariat here, Parrikar also said that he was willing to take Hegde "head on" in a Lokayukta debate.
"He should apologise for his comments," Parrikar said, a day after Hegde told local newspapers that the controversial amendments to the Goa Lokayukta law amounted to "dilution" of the act.
"Why have the Lokayukta at all," Justice Hegde said, adding that steep fines (to the tune of Rs 1 million) for "frivolous" complaints would also act as a deterrent for genuine complainants.
The amendments, which were passed in the state legislative assembly Thursday, sought hiking of penalty and even imprisonment for filing "false and frivolous complaints".
The amendments also allowed declarations of the Lokayukta to lapse if the Chief Minister`s office does not take cognizance of the same in three months.
"I have respect for Hegde, but he should not be speaking to the media like this as a former Supreme Court judge," said Parrikar, who is already under fire from civil society for diluting the public ombudsman law.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!