Apologise for criticising Lokayukta law: Parrikar to Hegde
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday asked for an apology from Justice Santosh Hegde for the former Karnataka lokayukta`s criticism of controversial amendments to Goa`s Lokayukta law.
Speaking to reporters at the secretariat here, Parrikar also said that he was willing to take Hegde "head on" in a Lokayukta debate.
"He should apologise for his comments," Parrikar said, a day after Hegde told local newspapers that the controversial amendments to the Goa Lokayukta law amounted to "dilution" of the act.
"Why have the Lokayukta at all," Justice Hegde said, adding that steep fines (to the tune of Rs 1 million) for "frivolous" complaints would also act as a deterrent for genuine complainants.
The amendments, which were passed in the state legislative assembly Thursday, sought hiking of penalty and even imprisonment for filing "false and frivolous complaints".
The amendments also allowed declarations of the Lokayukta to lapse if the Chief Minister`s office does not take cognizance of the same in three months.
"I have respect for Hegde, but he should not be speaking to the media like this as a former Supreme Court judge," said Parrikar, who is already under fire from civil society for diluting the public ombudsman law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015