Appoint Lokayukta in Goa: IAC
Panaji: India Against Corruption (IAC) on Saturday warned the Goa government against "feigning amnesia" on the appointment of a Lokayukta (ombudsman).
In a statement, IAC coordinator Valmiki Naik said the BJP in its election manifesto had promised a Lokayukta on the lines of that in Uttarakhand within 100 days of coming to power.
But the government had failed to live up to the promise, he said.
"The IAC has also expressly resolved that it will not allow the government to feign amnesia regarding its written pre-election assurance to appoint a Lokayukta by following the neutral selection process laid down in the Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill," Naik said.
"The government and the government-appointed committee (set up to identify suitable candidates for the Lokayukta`s post) should stop trying the patience of Goans weary of inaction against corruption. The IAC has observed that the appointment of Lokayukta has been delayed on one flimsy pretext or the other. This has created a suspicion in the minds of people that such delays could be deliberate," Naik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far