Appoint Lokayukta in Goa: IAC
Panaji: India Against Corruption (IAC) on Saturday warned the Goa government against "feigning amnesia" on the appointment of a Lokayukta (ombudsman).
In a statement, IAC coordinator Valmiki Naik said the BJP in its election manifesto had promised a Lokayukta on the lines of that in Uttarakhand within 100 days of coming to power.
But the government had failed to live up to the promise, he said.
"The IAC has also expressly resolved that it will not allow the government to feign amnesia regarding its written pre-election assurance to appoint a Lokayukta by following the neutral selection process laid down in the Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill," Naik said.
"The government and the government-appointed committee (set up to identify suitable candidates for the Lokayukta`s post) should stop trying the patience of Goans weary of inaction against corruption. The IAC has observed that the appointment of Lokayukta has been delayed on one flimsy pretext or the other. This has created a suspicion in the minds of people that such delays could be deliberate," Naik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation