Athletics coach arrested for raping minor player
Panaji: Goa Police have arrested an
athletics coach from Uttar Pradesh for raping a 15-year-old
kho-kho player at a hotel on Colva beach.
According to police, the victim is a class XI student
from government college near Bijnor in UP. The incident
happened last week, which came to light after the girl sought
help of a local waiter to approach the police.
Colva police stated that Amit Ragi, an athletics coach
from UP sexually abused the girl, whom he had brought to Goa
under the pretext of selection for national kho-kho.
The coach and the victim came to Margao on July 7 and
later checked in at a hotel near Colva beach and he allegedly
raped her next day, they said.
Police stated that after the incident, the victim sought
help of a hotel waiter, who assisted her to reach the
police. The coach was arrested under Section 366 and 376 of
IPC and sent to judicial custody.
Teacher of the victim came to Goa from Bijnor after she
got to know about the incident. She sought the custody of the
girl, which was refused by the police.
President of `Bailancho Ekvott` Auda Viegas, who assisted
police in getting the statement, said that the girl was sent
back with the police escort.
"She is now safe with her parents," Viegas said adding
that Colva police responded quickly after the initial
complaint, which resulted in speedy rescue of the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'