Athletics coach arrested for raping minor player
Panaji: Goa Police have arrested an
athletics coach from Uttar Pradesh for raping a 15-year-old
kho-kho player at a hotel on Colva beach.
According to police, the victim is a class XI student
from government college near Bijnor in UP. The incident
happened last week, which came to light after the girl sought
help of a local waiter to approach the police.
Colva police stated that Amit Ragi, an athletics coach
from UP sexually abused the girl, whom he had brought to Goa
under the pretext of selection for national kho-kho.
The coach and the victim came to Margao on July 7 and
later checked in at a hotel near Colva beach and he allegedly
raped her next day, they said.
Police stated that after the incident, the victim sought
help of a hotel waiter, who assisted her to reach the
police. The coach was arrested under Section 366 and 376 of
IPC and sent to judicial custody.
Teacher of the victim came to Goa from Bijnor after she
got to know about the incident. She sought the custody of the
girl, which was refused by the police.
President of `Bailancho Ekvott` Auda Viegas, who assisted
police in getting the statement, said that the girl was sent
back with the police escort.
"She is now safe with her parents," Viegas said adding
that Colva police responded quickly after the initial
complaint, which resulted in speedy rescue of the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'