Auctioning of Goa mining leases could be way forward: Congress
Panaji: Congress party in Goa on Tuesday said auctioning of mining leases could be a way forward for the mining industry in the state.
"Auctioning of mining leases can be one of the options," Goa Pradesh Congress Committee President Subhash Shirodkar told reporters here.
He said all political parties should sit across the table and come out with analytical approach on mining for the state`s development.
Currently, the state has 90-odd mining leases held by private companies, which were operational before being shut down by the Supreme Court order last year.
Shirodkar said yesterday`s Supreme Court order allowing e-auctioning of ore is a welcome step, especially because the mining belt economy had reached its lowest ebb after exports were stopped.
Goa government has predicted that a revenue collection worth Rs 1,500 crore from 5.3 metric tonnes of ore lying at leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's ''unfinished agenda'' is to retrieve illegally occupied part of J&K: Jitendra Singh
- Skoda Octavia vRS to make its way to India very soon?
- PNB profit more than halves to Rs 306 crore in Q1
- Chennai-bound Oman Air flight makes emergency landing in Goa
- 'Baar Baar Dekho': Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma' breaks all records, rejoices 4.3 million views in 1 day!