Auctioning of Goa mining leases could be way forward: Congress
Panaji: Congress party in Goa on Tuesday said auctioning of mining leases could be a way forward for the mining industry in the state.
"Auctioning of mining leases can be one of the options," Goa Pradesh Congress Committee President Subhash Shirodkar told reporters here.
He said all political parties should sit across the table and come out with analytical approach on mining for the state`s development.
Currently, the state has 90-odd mining leases held by private companies, which were operational before being shut down by the Supreme Court order last year.
Shirodkar said yesterday`s Supreme Court order allowing e-auctioning of ore is a welcome step, especially because the mining belt economy had reached its lowest ebb after exports were stopped.
Goa government has predicted that a revenue collection worth Rs 1,500 crore from 5.3 metric tonnes of ore lying at leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption