Bachchan, Parrikar, Sachin `beneficiaries` of MNREGA in Goa
Panaji: Names of a host of celebrities from the world of cricket and Bollywood, including Amitabh Bachchan, Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting, have been found in the list of beneficiaries of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Assurance scheme in Goa.
Other illustrious names in the list include Aamir Khan, Kapil Dev, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, Yuvaraj Singh and Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, the information obtained from the state government`s Rural Development Agency under the Right to Information by the NGO Goa Parivartan Manch (GPM), reveals.
The NGO today alleged that money was being siphoned off in the implementation of UPA`s flagship scheme in the state by making payments to bogus beneficiaries.
GPM convener Yatish Naik said that wages of Rs 100 per day for 150 days were made in the name of aforesaid celebrities and even their spouses and children.
The list is from Chimbel area, a hub of labour market, which has more than a thousand MNREGA beneficiaries.
The NGO has petitioned President Pranab Mukherjee, requesting him to ask concerned authorities to investigate the scam.
The scheme is implemented by the Rural Development Agency (RDA) of the Goa government.
GPM leaders today also met Goa Governor B V Wanchoo and sought his intervention.
The list has the name of former Australian cricketer Ricky Ponting and family members `Rikli, Micky and Rosy`, Indian cricketer Yuvaraj Singh with family member `Josl`, Rahul Dravid with family member `Resma and Arjun`.
Sachin`s wife and two children and the entire family of Amitabh Bachchan including his mother Teji figure in the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border