Ban on media coverage of Goa session lifted after protests
Panaji: Goa State Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar on Monday lifted the partial ban imposed in media covering the ongoing session, after protests from local journalist unions.
The Speaker had banned still photographers from clicking the pictures of the session except for the Question Hour, which lasts for initial one hour.
The `live` coverage provided to the local cable network channels was also channelised through the system installed by the legislature department.
Arlekar this morning told the delegation of journalists that all the restrictions would be lifted from today onwards.
The photographers will now be allowed to cover the entire session.
Goa Union Journalist led by its president Pandurang Gaonkar had met the Speaker in the morning along with the representatives of Photo Journalist Association, Goa and Electronic Media Journalist Association of Goa.
"We welcome the gesture of the Speaker to lift the ban. Fourth estate is very important in informing the general public about what our elected representatives are doing on the floor of the House. We will always be opposing any attempt to restrict the freedom of press," Gaonkar said.
"This will allow us to work with full zest and freedom," Rajtilak Naik, member of press advisory committee of Goa Legislative Assembly told a news agency, adding that cameramen have always been working from the side galleries without disturbing the proceedings of the House.
"Whenever there are any decisions to be made in public interest, we always coordinate with the Speaker before publishing the visual element clicked during the session," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming