Bar raid: 2 women have past flesh trade record, says police
Panaji: Suspended Samajwadi Party legislator Mahendra Singh, who was recently arrested after a dance bar raid, may find himself in fresh trouble as it has come to light that two of the women rescued had past police records.
On August 27, the Uttar Pradesh MLA was arrested with five others from a local bar at Campal and six women were rescued from there.
Two of the women, including one from Chhattisgarh, had been earlier rescued by Goa police from a prostitution ring, police inspector Rajendra Prabhudesai said on Thursday.
The claims that the girls were just being brought to dance at a party does not stand as the girls were linked to prostitution in the past, he said.
The legislator, in his defence before the investigating agencies, had claimed that the girls were brought to dance by one of his friend, and he had visited the place after an invitation by one of his friends who was celebrating his birthday party there.
Singh also rubbished reports that he was living with a girl in a hotel at Calangute.
Police are now waiting for the details of statement from the sub-divisional magistrate, who is likely to take down the testimony of these women.
Investigating officials feel that the rescued women may spill beans on the accused arrested in this case.
Singh, a four time legislator from Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly, was suspended from Samajwadi Party after his arrest in Goa.
The legislator had said he was innocent as he was sleeping in the room adjacent to the bar where the raid took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog