Beach parties, church prayers mark New Year celebration in Goa
Panaji: Lakhs of party revellers ushered in the new year through beach parties, while majority of the local Catholic inhabitants prayed through midnight masses in the church as the year 2013 came to a close Tuesday night.
The beaches across the state were thronged by revellers, who had come to be a part of the parties that continued till the wee hours on Wednesday to welcome the new year. Dazzling fireworks were on display at all the beaches.
Tourism officials claim that more than three lakh tourists arrived in the state to enter a new year with a bang.
Midnight masses were held across all the churches in the state. The main mass was celebrated at Archbishop`s palace in Panaji.
At several places, including the century old club Nacional, the traditional dance parties were held.
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in his new year message said, "Over the past year, we have achieved some important goals and also confronted some new challenges."
"At the start of this New Year, we move forward with trust in the power of the Goan spirit, we move forward with a resolve to work for the development of our state and for the well-being of our people," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III