Beach parties, church prayers mark New Year celebration in Goa
Panaji: Lakhs of party revellers ushered in the new year through beach parties, while majority of the local Catholic inhabitants prayed through midnight masses in the church as the year 2013 came to a close Tuesday night.
The beaches across the state were thronged by revellers, who had come to be a part of the parties that continued till the wee hours on Wednesday to welcome the new year. Dazzling fireworks were on display at all the beaches.
Tourism officials claim that more than three lakh tourists arrived in the state to enter a new year with a bang.
Midnight masses were held across all the churches in the state. The main mass was celebrated at Archbishop`s palace in Panaji.
At several places, including the century old club Nacional, the traditional dance parties were held.
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in his new year message said, "Over the past year, we have achieved some important goals and also confronted some new challenges."
"At the start of this New Year, we move forward with trust in the power of the Goan spirit, we move forward with a resolve to work for the development of our state and for the well-being of our people," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich