Beef crisis in Goa likely to subside soon
Panaji: Beef supply in Goa is expected to be normalised from tomorrow with the state-run corporation importing the meat from the neighbouring state.
Goa Meat Complex Ltd (GMCL) has imported two consignments of beef from the neighbouring Belgaum in Karnataka, after its own abattoir was left unused following the high court order.
Goa has been facing a shortage of beef since April last week as Goa Bench of Bombay High Court banned slaughtering animals below 12 years and also stopped import of animals for slaughtering.
GMCL Chairman Lyndon Monteiro said that the beef consignments would arrive in the state today, which would be distributed across state from tomorrow morning.
The traders have bought animals from outside the state to be slaughtered at licenced slaughterhouse there, he said.
The shortage of beef has severely affected Goa, which has 27 percent Catholic population, predominantly eating beef.
Monteiro said that GMCL is moving a review petition before the High Court pleading to lift the ban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic