Bharat Bandh: Goa remains shut, tourists stranded
Panaji: Goa remained completely shut except for few buses of state-owned Kadamba Transport Corporation plying on roads along with emergency services, in response to NDA`s bandh call against the petrol price hike, sources said.
Several tourists were seen stranded in the coastal belt as tourist taxis, private buses and even autorickshaws were off roads fearing attack by protestors.
Police claimed that the strike was largely peaceful till noon sparing few incidents of road blockages and pelting of stones reported in North Goa`s Bicholim town.
Siolim bridge linking the North Goa to Bardez and Tiswadi talukas was also blocked.
The attendance in the government and private offices remained scarce since morning, sources said.
The vehicles were hardly seen on roads in the morning but by noon people were seen travelling by the private transport.
Fearing action from transport department against them, All Goa Bus Owners Association (AGBOA) had earlier decided not to support the strike, but they did not run their buses.
State-run Kadamba Transport Corporation Limited had few of its buses plying on some routes.
But the skeletal number of buses was not enough to cater to the passengers who were seen stranded on various bus stands across the state.
Several banks, which had initially decided not to join the strike, had rolled down their shutters as they ran short of staff to run day to day affair, sources said.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador