Bharat Vir Wanchoo takes oath as Goa Governor
Panaji: Former Special Protection Group (SPG) Chief Bharat Vir Wanchoo on Friday took over as Governor of Goa replacing K Sankaranarayanan, who held the additional charge along with Maharashtra.
Chief Justice of Bombay High Court Justice Mohit Shah administered the oath of secrecy to Wanchoo at a function held in Raj Bhavan near here.The new governor was given the guard of honour soon after he assumed charge.
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, ministers and other dignitaries were present for the ceremony.
Talking to reporters, Wanchoo expressed confidence that he will get cooperation of people and the chief minister in furthering wellness and prosperity of the people.
The Governor said that the progress and growth of the state needs to be balanced considering the environmental impact here.
He said that Goa has been witnessing tremendous progress which is a wonderful thing adding that he needs to see the beautiful state and learn more about it.
According to the state government press release, Wanchoo was the head of prestigious SPG and earlier served as a joint director with the Intelligence Bureau and also served in Special Protection Group during former Prime Minister late Rajiv Gandhi.
He was also part of the security provided to Sonia Gandhi, UPA Chairperson and her family. An IPS Officer of the 1976 batch, Wanchoo was heading the SPG till October 2011, when he retired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing