BJP bats for Cong MPs left out of Cabinet rejig
Panaji: In a rare gesture, ruling BJP in Goa has pitched for Cabinet berths for Congress MPs while slamming the Centre for "neglecting" the coastal state in recent reshuffle of Union Council of Ministers.
"Both the MPs Shantaram Naik (RS) and Fransisco Sardinha (LS) are much better than those found place in the UPA-II government," BJP Goa spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita told reporters yesterday.
His statement came a day after opposition Congress moved a resolution during its Panaji convention demanding berth to at least one of the two MPs.
"It would be highly appreciated if Congress had given Goa a representation in the Cabinet. It is unfortunate that Goa was neglected (in reshuffle)," he said.
Taking a dig at Centre, Mesquita said, "It seems Congress has given up Lok Sabha seats in Goa even before the race (for 2014 elections) has started".
Out of three MPs Goa sends to Parliament, two are from Congress and one from BJP.
While Shantaram Naik is one of the staunch Congress loyalists, former chief minister Sardinha had switched allegiance once forming a faction within the government sharing power with BJP in the past.
Sardinha returned to Congress ahead of 2009 general elections and went on to win Mormugao constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!