BJP bats for Cong MPs left out of Cabinet rejig
Panaji: In a rare gesture, ruling BJP in Goa has pitched for Cabinet berths for Congress MPs while slamming the Centre for "neglecting" the coastal state in recent reshuffle of Union Council of Ministers.
"Both the MPs Shantaram Naik (RS) and Fransisco Sardinha (LS) are much better than those found place in the UPA-II government," BJP Goa spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita told reporters yesterday.
His statement came a day after opposition Congress moved a resolution during its Panaji convention demanding berth to at least one of the two MPs.
"It would be highly appreciated if Congress had given Goa a representation in the Cabinet. It is unfortunate that Goa was neglected (in reshuffle)," he said.
Taking a dig at Centre, Mesquita said, "It seems Congress has given up Lok Sabha seats in Goa even before the race (for 2014 elections) has started".
Out of three MPs Goa sends to Parliament, two are from Congress and one from BJP.
While Shantaram Naik is one of the staunch Congress loyalists, former chief minister Sardinha had switched allegiance once forming a faction within the government sharing power with BJP in the past.
Sardinha returned to Congress ahead of 2009 general elections and went on to win Mormugao constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price