BJP compares Parrikar`s fiscal skills to Portuguese dictator`s
Panaji: A senior BJP official on Friday compared Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar`s economic management skills to Portuguese dictator Antonio de Oliveira Salazar, a much-hated figure in Lusofonian colonies.
Speaking to reporters at the party`s state headquarters, vice president Wilfred Mesquita said the opposition`s consistent dubbing of Parrikar as "Salazar", was perhaps because of the Portuguese dictator`s skills as an economist.
"Salazar may have been a hated man in the colonies, but his skills as an economist are world renowned. He was a great economist. Perhaps by calling Parrikar `Salazar`, they may have been referring to our chief minister`s economic skills," Mesquita said.
Salazar, a teacher of economics, ruled Portugal and her colonies for nearly 40 years 1932-68. While his skills as an economist were appreciated in Portugal, his brutal approach towards Portuguese colonies made him a much detested personality.
Portuguese colonial rule in Goa lasted nearly 450 years, and ended in 1961 with the Indian Army`s liberation of the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!