BJP, Cong MLAs spar over issue of manganese contamination in Goa
Panaji: The Goa Assembly on Monday witnessed some sparring over the manganese contamination issue with a BJP MLA making remarks that Congress blamed mining for various problems but "reaped fruits of the industry" at the same time.
"You have allergy to mining. You always blamed mining for various reasons but reaped the fruits of the industry," BJP MLA Subhash Faldesai said reacting to a statement by Congress`s Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco.
The issue was high level of manganese in Selaulim water reservoir which supplies water to most parts of Goa.
"The mining has stopped now. Why the manganese content is going up? You always blamed mines for it," Faldesai said.
The mining in the state has stopped since September following a Supreme Court directive.
The state government today informed the House that manganese levels in Selaulim dam has touched 1.2 mg/litre against the permissible limit of 0.7 mg/litre. High levels of manganese has forced authorities to stop water supply to Mormugao and Salcette talukas for two days last week.
Raising the issue, Lourenco demanded that mines operating near the area should be examined for possible manganese contamination.
However, Faldesai objected to the demand which angered the Congress MLA.
"These people were born on mines but we were born in the agricultural fields," Lourenco said pointing at Faldesai and another BJP legislator Nilesh Cabral.
Independent MLA Vijay Sardesai said manganese mine in the area was in existence before the construction of reservoir began in 1975.
The government assured that authorities would look into the issue and preventive steps were already being taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH