BJP, Cong step up opposition against Playboy`s Goa plan
Panaji: The BJP Goa unit has decided to stand by its legislator who has opposed Playboy Club`s plan to open a branch at Candolim beach which has been under consideration of the state tourism ministry.
Even the state Congress unit has also expressed its reservations over opening of such a facility in the state.
The BJP does not approve of having Playboy Club being started in Goa and we will take up the issue with the state government, party`s Goa unit spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita said.
The state BJP-led government is considering the proposal by the US-based club`s franchisee to open its branch in Goa.
BJP legislator Michael Lobo has threatened to go on a hunger strike if the club is given permission, claiming that it would encourage vulgar tourism in the state.
"We are definitely taking into consideration the objections raised by Lobo. We will talk to the government," said Mesquita, who was flanked by Goa unit president Vinay Tendulkar and party`s national secretary Aarati Mehra during the press conference.
Mesquita said the party is against anything that is not in tandem with morality. "BJP will never support the club," the spokesman said, adding that such a facility would not be beneficial for Goa`s culture.
PB Franchisee had last year announced their plan to open a branch at Candolim beach as a part of the their nationwide plans to open 120 clubs, hotels, fashion cafes and shops in India over the next 10 years.
State tourism minister Dilip Parulekar had postponed the reply on the club issue on the floor of the House on Tuesday, when it came in the form of a Calling Attention motion moved by Lobo during the ongoing Assembly session.
The Opposition Congress party too has expressed their reservation over Playboy club in Goa, claiming that it won`t be successful in the state.
All India Mahila Congress Committee (AIMCC) president Anita Verma told reporters today that tourists who arrive in Goa come here for peace.
"The concept like Playboy club will not work for the state of Goa," she said. The state`s public should decide whether to allow or not permit to such a club here, she suggested. The beaches of Goa attract 24 lakh tourists annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'