BJP demands CBI inquiry against Goa Deputy Speaker
Panaji: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday
demanded CBI inquiry into the alleged fraud committed by Goa
Deputy Speaker Mauvin Godinho while giving power rebate to
various industries during his tenure as power minister.
BJP leader and Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar
demanded that federal agency should investigate into conduct
of Mauvin in issuing notification giving power rebate to
various industries way back in 1996 when held the power
Apex court this week had upheld Goa Bench of Bombay High
Court`s judgement which had quashed the legality of the
notification, which would have cost the state Rs 50 crore.
Mauvin, then power minister, had allegedly given power
rebate to various industries without taking the state cabinet
Two notifications were issued on May 15, 1996 and August
Parrikar, who filed the case initially in the High Court,
has said that 14 companies were direct beneficiaries of this
notification, which was later reverted by state government in
Reading certain abstracts from the Supreme Court
judgement, Parrikar said that the court had expressed
sufficient doubt on the conduct of then power minister,
Parrikar said the court has also observed that the
decision was taken without taking council of ministers into
Parrikar said that by the time notification was reversed
Rs 16 crore was already paid to various companies by the state
government in the form of rebate.
The Leader of Opposition said that since apex court has
held that the notification was `not legal,` the motive behind
having the notification should be investigated.
Parrikar said that since Godinho is a deputy speaker in
the current government, the investigation in this case has to
be dealt by Central agencies.
"You cannot expect police to be neutral in this case as
Godinho`s support is crucial for the survival of the
government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen