BJP legislator seeks JAC over alleged PWD scam in Goa
Panaji: BJP MLA Damodar Naik on Wednesday rushed into the well of Goa legislative assembly demanding a probe into an alleged scam by Public Works Department.
Naik demanded that a Joint Action Committee (JAC) be
formed by the assembly to probe distribution of water tanks by
the PWD Minister Churchill Alemao.
Raising the issue during the question hour, Naik said
that Alemao`s ministry gave water tanks to the people, without
forming an appropriate scheme, or following procedure.
He said that the allotments were done arbitrarily.
The house witnessed heated exchanges of allegations
between Alemao and Naik for a few minutes, before the Speaker
Pratapsingh Rane intervened, and asked the members not to use
In a written reply, Alemao had conceded that 4000 tanks
worth total of Rs 99.73 lakh were distributed. He also
admitted that he had given the administrative approval, while
no cabinet-level decision had been taken on the scheme.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said that the scam
needed to be investigated, considering the amount of money
While Naik and Parrikar kept on pressing for JAC, Chief
Minister Digambar Kamat came to the rescue of the minister.
Kamat said that "The tanks were distributed to deal with
the water shortages and the minister has agreed to formulate a
Naik was not convinced and rushed in to the well.
However, the Chief Minister did not give in, refusing to
set up a JAC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Munich shooting had `obvious link` to Breivik: Police
- Ranveer Singh and Karan Johar to work together! Details inside
- After Gujarat, two Bihar Dalit youths thrashed, urinated upon: Watch shocking video
- Another beef-related assault reported, four of a Dalit family attacked in Karnataka
- INS Viraat embarks on farewell voyage to Kochi