BJP looks to boost image among Christians in Goa
Panaji: BJP has decided to strike a chord
with Christian religious leaders by having direct interaction
with them, in a bid to boost its image among the minority
community ahead of the 2012 Assembly elections in Goa.
BJP`s National Secretary and in charge of Goa, Arti
Mehra, will meet priests at Fr Agnelo Ashram near here
tomorrow, as an exercise to "wipe out misconceptions about the
party amongst the minority community".
"I will interact with Fr Joseph from Fr Agnelo Ashram. We
will meet more Catholic leaders in the state in the days to
come," Mehra told a news conference here today.
If required, BJP president Nitin Gadkari may be invited
to have a dialogue with the Christian community leaders, she
said, adding "we can even interact with Archbishop, if we get
"They (priests) have reacted positively and want to
invite us in their assembly and interact with us," Mehra,
former mayor of Delhi, said.
Goa will face Legislative Assembly elections in 2012.
Mehra said the party will gain majority seats in the
state and provide good governance after the 2012 elections.
"People are fed up of the rampant corruption in the
state. We want to provide them solace," she said.
After interacting with state BJP leaders, she said the
voting from the catholic community needed to be increased by
at least five to seven per cent in the state.
The BJP leader alleged that Congress had spread
large-scale misconception about the party amongst the
"We want to pass on the message that we are political
party with ideology and nationalistic views. We are not anti
minority," Mehra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!
- China faces 1-year ban from weightlifting over doping