BJP MLA attends Goa Assembly session in `dhoti`
Panaji: Writer-turned-legislator Vishnu Wagh Tuesday attended the first day of Goa Legislative Assembly session in a `dhoti`, claiming "he is proud of his culture."
Wagh, a BJP MLA, had earlier announced that he would attend the session wearing a `dhoti`, after state minister Sudin Dhavalikar demanded ban on bikinis on the beaches claiming it was against the Indian culture.
The BJP legislator had dared Dhavalikar to wear dhoti in his day-to-day life, if he was really concerned about the culture.
Wagh arrived for the session today in a white dhoti, silk blue kurta and teamed it up with a silver scarf.
"I am proud of my culture. I have a variety of dhotis which I would be wearing for the session," Wagh said, adding that "he doesn`t shy away from accepting what is the real culture."
"Those who preach about the culture don`t dare to practice what they preach," he said without naming Dhavalikar.
Dhavalikar`s remarks against pubs and demanding ban on the bikinis had evoked national debate. The minister had later withdrawn his statement claiming that he just meant to honour dignity of women.
Later, state Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had ruled out banning wearing of bikinis on the state`s beaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site