BJP MLA in Goa resigns, set to join Congress
Panaji: BJP legislator in Goa Rajesh
Patnekar today resigned as a member of the legislative
Assembly to join the Congress party soon.
Patnekar, a two time legislator from Bicholim
constituency, today submitted his resignation to the Speaker
of the Legislative Assembly Pratapsingh Rane.
However, his exit could not be considered unexpected
owing to his political proximity to the Congress minister
After tendering the resignation, Patnekar told reporters
that his decision to join Congress is taken thoughtfully and
he is sure to get a Congress ticket for the forthcoming
"Congress Goa desk in-charge Jagmeet Brar, chief minister
Digambar Kamat, Pradesh Congress committee chief Subhash
Shirodkar and minister Vishwajit Rane has assured me the
ticket. My ticket is confirmed," Patnekar said responding to a
question. He added that he would join the Congress over the
next eight days.
Patnekar also said that he "had to quit for the
development of the constituency and to solve the large-scale
unemployment problem there."
He said the constituency was neglected by the ruling
coalition, since the time BJP lost power in the state.
"I have been struggling a lot for the development, but
could not do it," Patnekar said.
Patnekar`s resignation has brought down BJP`s strength to
13 in the 40-seat Goa legislative Assembly.
However, BJP today gave a guarded reaction over the
development. The Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said
that Patnekar`s resignation was expected.
Parrikar said, "He has been hobnobbing
with the Congress for quite some time now. It was expected
that he would join Congress."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead